Saturday, May 21, 2011

Ani Difranco- Reprieve

This album took me through two summers ago, when I was commuting and sad and empowered all at once. Commuting because I had the CD (it was one of the last CDs I bought; it's from a record store that caters to all the punk kids in my hometown) in my car and listened to it over and over.

I would get halfway through A Spade by the time I got to the parking lot. I was usually late, so I wouldn't finish the song, and in the evenings I would return to my car, exhausted, and the first thing I'd hear would be the few lines she speaks, about the responsibilities of women.

I used to sit at the long light near the park, singing to Half-Assed. I thought it was funny because I had just driven between fields and was about five minutes from my windowless cubicle.

I loved that job, though. The CD just reminded me that I couldn't do it forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment